Friday, February 24, 2012

feedback friday

I thought it was time to finally address a few of the questions you've been leaving in the comments or sending me through email.

Last week, Becky had you post questions for the entire Creative Team to answer. I think it was a great idea and I hope we do it again! Part 1 of our answers are now posted on Becky's blog. I hope our answers help you in your process :)

I found that while going through those questions and the ones I've been asked recently that there were similar questions around whether to do only digital and what to do with everything else that falls outside of Project Life. I will share what I do in a hope that I help you decide what is best for you.


I began digital scrapbooking last year. I love it. Your layouts really inspire me. In the past I've done Project Life in the traditional sense. I'm wondering if you print any 4x6 photos or keep any traditional photo albums around the home or if your digital books are all you have in your home? I'm pondering whether I should go all digital.


Going completely "all" digital is a big step and a lot of people struggle with this. I know I did when I made the decision. I don't regret it one bit though! I have documented way more because I went digital. It works for me and I love it! It is a personal choice, so if you're pondering it than give yourself time. Keep doing the digital and learning what you can and in a few months you may find that you're only doing digital layouts :)

As for printing photos and keeping traditional albums. I don't print photos to put in photo albums. I stopped doing that years ago. As for traditional scrapbook albums, I do keep those. Even though I am a digi scrapbooker, I like to print my layouts and put them in traditional page protectors and put them in my albums. My girls each have their own albums and we have a family album. The layouts that I put in these albums are not Project Life layouts. All my Project Life layouts are printed together as a book through Blurb.com.

I will be sharing more about my process for creating my weekly Project Life layouts and my the other scrapbooking I do in an upcoming blog post :)

What's your scrapbook flow. I'm just a newbie to the digital way and I'm overwhelmed with how to get the paper, embellishment, etc. together to make a good layout. Could you do a future post about that?

I think a good place for you to start is to take one of Jessica Sprague's online classes. Her classes are for beginners all the way to advanced. In her classes she walks you through the process of creating your first layout, etc. I wish her classes were around when I started digital, it would've been a lot easier :)

As for what makes a good layout, I think that's personal. I tend to use templates a lot, as this helps with the placement of where my photos will go. Once that's out of the way, I find everything else just comes together. I haven't change my process that much from my days a paper scrapbooker. I still select my photos first, figure out where I am going to place them, select my papers and embellishments and than write my journaling. I always start with a story in mind that I want to tell. Always remember, scrapbooking is about preserving memories and however you put that together on a page doesn't matter as much as the story you're telling.

I've never gotten into digital layouts other than photo books where you just drop photos & journaling. I'm nervous to start, as there are so many options out there and I could see myself spending ALOT of money buying all the different embellishments, papers, etc. and ALOT more time playing with all the layouts. Any thoughts?

There is A LOT out there to buy and it's easy to get sucked into wanting it all :) I've been there :) LOL

I have been doing digital for 7 years, so I have A LOT of stuff!! LOL But it took me 7 years and being on many Creative Teams for me to accumulate everything I have. I do on occasion go through and delete kits I have never used or delete the many freebies I've downloaded and never used!! It's no different than paper supplies, you can get to a point where you have too much stuff!!

Once you find your style you'll find that you stick to certain designers. There are a lot of amazing designers out there now, so take your time and shop around :) You should also develop criteria that you follow when determining if you should buy a kit or not. I have bought kits that I knew I would only use once, where other times I have gotten a kit and I have found myself using pieces of it over and over!! That's the great thing about digital, you can use that same piece of paper on every layout if you want :)

In the beginning, I suggest downloading some of the many free kits that are out there. Trust me, there are LOTS! Get comfortable with creating layouts and figuring out what your style is and than start looking to add to your collection.

You want to be spending the time creating memories not wasting time looking for that perfect kit :)


If you have other questions for me, I'd love to hear from you, just leave me a comment or send me an email.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...