Wednesday, January 16, 2013

project life 2013 | week one

Hello 2013. Yes, I am a couple weeks late, but I felt it's appropriate to say since I will officially be sharing a layout for this year! 

I have been so busy finishing off my weekly layouts for 2012 and getting them ready to print that I haven't had time to sit down and put together a weekly layout for 2013. I just found time the other night and it sure feels good to be working with current photos! 

So far I have been very good about taking pictures, downloading and editing them and even making sure to write a short blurb each day! Doing those few things makes such a difference when it comes time to actually put the weekly layout together. 

I have been surfing around looking at what others are doing for Project Life. I love how this year it seems like I have found so many new people to follow! For one, Becky's new Creative Team has been a huge source of inspiration for me already! 

Even before the new year started, I was thinking about what I would do differently and what worked well in 2012. Because this is my fourth year doing this, I have learned a few things about my style and process and what works and doesn't work and even what things I would like to try! 

One of the big changes I am making for my layouts this year is I am not using any background papers! I am going to have just a white background for ALL my pages! If you've been following me for awhile, you'll know that last year, I went with one background paper for a month and then the next month did something else. In previous years, I use to change the background paper every week! I love both and glad I designed my layouts that way. I have no regrets in doing either, but this year, I'd like to try something different! I have to say, I love white space, but having my layouts on all white will take some getting use to. I might have to find a nice off-white background paper to use! For me, it's just one last decision I need to make! It will allow me to focus on the photos and stories more!

I will continue to include lots of photo collages! That's one thing I am glad I started in 2012. I use to include just one photo to represent each day, but last year I started using photo collages so I could include even more photos! I love that I made that change and will continue that this year! I will also continue to use different Project Life editions, along with other digital kits/word art, etc. I love all the PL editions and honestly can't stick to just one for the entire year! :) That's why I am looking forward to when all the new editions come out digitally!!

And now I give you week one of 2013.... 


 
My week starts on Monday and goes to Sunday, but since the new year didn't start until Tuesday, that's when week one started for me. Even though there were only 6 days, I still had lots of photos I wanted to include. It helped that we had snow! I find I take more pictures when we have something to do as a family and playing in the snow is one of them! 

This week also went back to work after being off over the holidays. I find this time of the year the hardest to keep up with taking photos! We wake up when it's dark and by the time I come home from work, guess what...it's dark again! It's not like I can't take photos, but then I find I am struggling to get the right light or I need to use a flash. But what I really find is that I am capturing the same type of activities and not capturing new ones! For me, the key is to capture a moment before I leave for work. This doesn't always happen, but if I make a conscious effort, then it's more likely to happen. During the week, I am more likely to only take one photo per day and then on the weekend I take more pictures. I think this is true for most people. 


On New Year's Day we took the girls to the park to play in the snow! I am not a fan of winter, but when you have little ones, you get over that and remember what it was like to be a kid and enjoy playing in the snow! I also knew I was bound to get some nice shots since it was a sunny day! We even snapped a picture of all of us! I like this idea and will likely do it again next year! 

I tried something different with the photo on day 2. I used a gradient on my photo by following the instructions here at The Daily Digi and then I typed my journaling right on top of the picture. I like the look and will likely try it again. 

And like with most of my layouts, I recoloured everything to coordinate. I used a couple journaling cards from the Seafoam edition and then a few word brushes by Ali Edwards. I also incorporated one of my freebie filler cards on page one, which you can download here. Again, I recoloured it to coordinate with everything else.

On page two, I used the idea of a week in review card, but instead I titled it, the weekend at a glance. I tend to have more to write about on the weekends, so this approach is something I will likely continue doing when it makes sense.


Thanks for looking! If you have any questions, either leave a comment here on my blog or visit my facebook page and post your question there. 


Project Life is a memory keeping system created by Becky Higgins 
Click here to view my 2012 project life pages.

7 comments:

  1. aahhhh.. you inspire me! just what i needed to get going on pl. why do i keep putting it off? i say to myself that it's because i am trying to get "organized"...
    thanks for having your gorgeous layout give me a much needed shove in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine posted these mantras on her blog this week:

      "Something is better than nothing," and

      "My pace is the right pace for me."

      She was applying them to completely different situations, but I immediately thought of scrapbooking (and laundry - ha!). :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Am trying PL for the first time this year digitally, and decided to use the same background for each week - know myself and I would spend too much time just making that choice. So far so good. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pages are beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I love the new white background...it makes the pictures and cards "pop".

    Would you mind sharing your favorite fonts to use on your PL pages?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pages! Loving the clean crisp look of the white background. Do you have a tutorial on how to change the colors of the filler/journal cards? Love how you do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pages! I like the white background, and I agree that it might be nice to have a white/off-white background paper. I've found that shadows look more realistic on a textured background than just a white color filled space.

    I would love to know your process for recoloring. I have been trying to do that with some Ali Edwards journal cards for Week in the Life, and I can't for the life of me (ha) get it to work right. So far I've tried filling a selection (which left the white text jagged looking) and using the color replacement tool (worked, but made the color lighter than what I had selected).

    Anyway, I'm excited to follow along with your Project Life this year! :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...